Summer Lawn Care Tips with Stihl: Working Safely. Summer days are long and hot. We discussed dealing with drought and landscaping tips for summer already. However, when you’re outside getting work done, don’t forget about personal safety. Here are some basic tips for working safely in the summer heat.
- Drink water frequently and in small amounts (about 1 pint per hour) rather than large amounts at one time. Drink 3-4 quarts a day during the summer.
- Don’t depend on feeling thirsty to remind you – by the time you feel thirsty, you are already low on fluids.
Reduce Sun Exposure:
- Wear tightly woven clothing that blocks out sunlight.
- Use sunscreen with an SPF of at least 15.
- Wear a hat with a wide brim to help protect the neck, ears, eyes, face, and scalp.
- Sunlight is most intense between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. – your prime working hours – so take time to ensure you are protected.
Protect Yourself From the Heat:
- Take frequent water breaks in a shaded or air-conditioned area.
- Try to avoid excessive lifting, climbing or digging during peak heat hours. Use additional power equipment as necessary to assist with labor-intensive tasks.
- Know the signs of heat exhaustion: pale and clammy skin, increased pulse and breathing, dizziness and nausea, and decreased urine output.
- If you feel you might have heat exhaustion, stop working immediately and rest in a shaded area. Drink small to moderate amounts of water or an electrolyte replacing fluid.
In conclusion, Odiorne has you covered when it comes to lawn and garden. We are proud to be a local Stihl dealer! Check out our Stihl products, including mowers, here! We hope you learn from our Summer Lawn Care Tips with Stihl: Working Safely.
Article Source: Stihl